Friday, June 11, 2010

Peanut Butter Granola

I have tried countless times to make good homemade granola, but I never was satisfied with the results.  The recipes seemed temperamental and the granola often too dry and too crunchy with burned spots and "raw" spots all over.  I finally stumbled across this recipe in our local newspaper.  The original calls for sugar, but I am on a no sugar kick right now, so I've replaced that with Agave.  I also added lots of chopped almonds.  This is so yummy as a snack, trail mix or as a great alternative to cold cereal. It is also very easy to make and seems "fail safe."  The granola is a little soft, which my family prefers, and I never worry about chipping a tooth on it.  :)

4 Tablespoons  butter
1 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter (all natural of course)
1 cup of any ratio combined honey and agave  (That is 1 cup total,  I use 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup agave but you can use all honey, all agave, etc.)
1-2 teaspoons real vanilla (I lean towards 2)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 cups almonds (Lightly chopped in blender)
3 1/2 cups rolled oats (do not use quick cooking!)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Have an ungreased rimmed baking sheet at hand.  (I use a pastry sheet on mine)
Combine the peanut butter, butter and honey/agave in a microwave-safe bowl.  (Or just do it on the stove top) Heat the mixture JUST UNTIL THE BUTTER MELTS.  (You don't want to cook this stuff)  Your mixture should be smooth, if not heat it a little more.
Add vanilla, salt and almonds.  (I like almond chunks in my granola so, I am sure to not over chop them.  I just place them in my Vitamix blender and pulsate for a few seconds) 
Then add the oats and mix until they are evenly coated.  Spread the mixture evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, stir, (or perhaps I should say, try to flip the chunks over so they can cook on the other side) and cook for 5 minutes longer.  Let it cool on the baking sheet, then break it up into bite-size pieces.  Store in an airtight container.
For a chocolate variation:  Add 1/2 cup of cocoa after melting the butter/peanut butter mixture, and stir until smooth.

You're Gonna Love It!

No comments:

Post a Comment